Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Good news, Fun day

So, the lady I spoke with at the Ministry of Agriculture (this is the gatekeeper for Chewey's stay in Grenada) just filled out the paper for me and said it'd be ready to pick up the next day. So I did! I was there like 5 minutes. Such an easy fix! I hope I didn't annoy her too much by saying very often how grateful I was. And I leave for  Grenada's airport tomorrow at 6 a.m. I have my purse packed and ready to go. I'm so excited to see him! He's probably a shaggy little dog--he was due for a haircut 3 weeks ago.

I decided to walk the few miles home from the Ministry of Agriculture. There aren't many roads here, and you can mostly see the ocean provided if there aren't any trees in the way. It was a hot and muggy and sun-in-my-eyes and no-I-don't-need-a-taxi-so-stop-honking-at-me walk. I loved it! I even took a detour to the beach to cool my feet in the ocean--very nice. It's also very mountainous here, which has been fabulous cuz I grew up around the mountains!

Ryan had his White Coat Ceremony yesterday--"No, don't bring the camera!" And of course I wished I brought the camera! Luckily, another spouse of a medical student named Phillip, lent me his. When he emails me the pics I took, I'll post them. Ryan was the only guy from Utah! Others were from Ghana, India, Pakistan, Minnesota, Saudi Arabia, Arizona, Canada, Trinidad & Tobago, and Vietnam.Very admirable bunch of people!

I had lunch with a new friend today. Her name is Kristal (or Krystal) and her husband John is also a first-term medical student. And they live in our same apartment complex. We went to the cafe by our place and I had such a fun time! She and John are from Albany, NY and got married 6 months ago. She is very thin, has tight brown curls, and a big pretty smile.

Here is a funny story--They are having their 2 cats shipped down here in March or so. I asked her what their names were, and she paused, as if she couldn't remember.

"Well, for veterinary purposes," she said, "Their names are Willow and Pickles, but I can't remember which is which."

Ok. 

"But when we took them off of our old landlord's hands, he had named them Lil' Shit and Fat Ass. John and I tried to come up with different names for them when we first got them, but we'd forget them after like 3 days, so we just gave up. So we made up the official ones; we didn't want to write 'shit' or 'ass' on the vet's official documents. They're so cute, you'll love Lil'Shit!"

LOL!!  I think she and I will get along splendidly.


I hope things are going well for all of you Utahns!! I think about you guys, working hard in school. I'm so lucky to be associated with such admirable people!

No comments:

Post a Comment