Thursday, March 3, 2011

Ice Cream Taste Test


Grenada has its own ice cream brand, Sugar & Spice. I've heard it's an amazing company with amazing products. I assume that it's returned many a Significant Other to his/her fabulous attitude towards the island. I don't doubt it—full fat milk with sugar does change people.
The grocery store a few blocks away from our apartment (Food Fair) sells small cups for a couple US dollars. Each small cup is 145-mL tubs, which according to Google's calculator feature, is equal to 0.612879161 cups. So after a particularly slow day on the island, I decided I was going to have a little adventure! I flip-flopped down to the Food Fair, hoping adolescent men and mosquitoes won't notice me, and grabbed 5 flavors of ice cream! I think the cashier admired my lack of shame, she offered me a plastic spoon. (They do that here--Krystal bought a canned soda once, and she was offered a paper-wrapped straw!) I grinned and said no thank you, I'm heading straight home with them! And forty-five minutes later, here I am with my reviews: 
All of them are thick and fluffy. Pistachio ice cream isn’t salty like I was expecting. I first tasted marshmallows, but after the ice melted into cream on my tongue, I tasted the familiar pistachio. Before I swallowed, I chewed up bits of the actual nut. I’m ambivalent if I like the bits of nut present, and probably won’t commit to a decision, because I probably won’t go out of my way to get Pistachio ice cream again. The flavor, although pleasant, did not overrule the calorie amount.


You can tell that the Chocolate is used with the boxed milk here. It has a very distinct and unfamiliar taste; definitely not you’re your American chocolate. Granted, I have high standards for chocolate ice cream, but I was a teeny bit disappointed. I expected for all of my problems to drift away for a few minutes, but nothing happened. This chocolate ice cream isn’t worth the sin. Choose death by chocolate some other way.


Rum & Raisin is reportedly robust! Its relish rings ridiculously rich and rewarding. Rare the raisins remain in the reservoir of rum; it is, regardless, a real recompense. Roughly, the Rum & Raisin rang rigid, riveting reflections and recoiled reproachful reviews. (Ha ha, that review was fun… This flavor is the most fabulous on its own.)



The first thing I thought of during my critique of the Nutmeg flavor is that this ice cream will go fabulously with pumpkin pie. Imagine all those Thanksgiving bread spices in vanilla ice cream, and you can appreciate Grenada’s spice. You can see the millions of spice dust in every spoonful.  It is a sharply spiced vanilla until you exhale, then you really experience the nutmeg.



I tribute this review to my sister Hayley—French Vanilla is not at all. It is cake batter flavor. And it was glorious! It is the most amazing and slanderous flavor I’ve sampled tonight. For some reason, it is bright yellow, which is a little disconcerting. This flavor also ranks high on the Crave-Fulfilling Scale.



2 comments:

  1. I love this blog and your fun adventures!!! I am totally jealous of all the time you have on your hands too! I want to be carefree living in a beautiful place! We miss you here at Davinci.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I'm glad someone reads it other than my mom! Too much time on my hands is not always a good thing, though, keep that in mind. I hope all is well with Davinci and your life!

    ReplyDelete