Saturday, November 5, 2011

"DOH!!!"

The thing about me and my embarrassing stories, is that my brain is way to snooty to hold onto any such memory, thus it quietly files it away like some blackmailing office assistant.

I remembered one today, however...

Krystal (BF in Grenada) and I went grocery shopping one afternoon. I was excited; today is the day that the store's staff restocks the new shipments of food! And it's just like Grenada--instead of waiting til wee hours of the morning to re-stock when they'd be out of people's way, they begin at 3:30 in the afternoon when the store is already a mob house.

We weave our way into the produce section--finally! Lettuce! :-)  There's an older gentleman blocking my way to the lettuce, but the cart behind him is totally full of bags of it. Well, I won't get in his way, and I'll help him out by taking a bag so there's one less thing he'd need to restock. Oh, I'm such an angel!

La la la, havin' a happy day in the grocery store! I finish getting all of my items and head for the check out lines, which are just as chaotic as the aisles. I'm looking for the shortest line, naturally, when I notice the older gentleman I grabbed lettuce from paying for his groceries...?

Thunk!


Gasp!! He wasn't an employee! He was a customer! And I blatantly snatched one of his bags of lettuce right in front of his face! I stole produce from somebody's grandpa! I wasn't doing a good deed like I thought, I was being a snotty and entitled white girl.

Oh crap.

Krystal laughed at my expression; she said she saw and understood the entire thing while it was happening, and he hardly reacted, she made a judgement call and didn't say anything, don't worry Jess, it's not a big deal...

Moan. He was out the door before I had decided if I was going to go after him...

1 comment:

  1. This is what Ryan sent to our friends:

    Just when I thought the world couldn't get any worse.

    This just in from the Grenadian Police:

    Be on the lookout for who police are now calling "The Lettuce Bandit". She strikes generally the elderly but any victim when they are at their weakest and least expect it;
    usually while they continue to gather fresh produce at the local super market.

    "The Lettuce Bandit" was last seen with a head of lettuce in her hand escaping on horseback presumably to her lettuce layer. Police insist that if anyone identifies or has
    any information about her that they immediately call the local authorities as it is unknown to what extent she will violently use said stolen produce.

    ReplyDelete