Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving Week! Part One of... lots more posts

So!!

I decided to make Thanksgiving Dinner for Ryan and me--ALL BY MYSELF! On account of being far away from family, friends, and Momma's stuffing. This is a rare time when a 25-year-old Mormon granddaughter can learn everything and won't be discouraged from participating in the large extended family pot-luck.

And my rule for this series is: I will not proofread-slash-edit-slash-filter my experiences. It will be difficult. I am a Public Relations undergraduate, notwithstanding. Even though this is a fabulous opportunity for me to display to you all how glorious-slash-talented I am in the kitchen. (Oops, that was filtered, I guess.) This series will show my bumps in the Caribbean Road to Thanksgiving.

I figured this can't be too intense: I have an unlimited supply of free time, knowledge of my kitchen  equipment's limits, an easy-going husband, and a neurotic, finish-WELL-in-advance personality.

The Menu:

  • Chicken 
    • (settle down! A small turkey costs $60-100 EC here. A chicken the same size costs $21)
  • Rolls
    • Must be part or mostly wheat, requires no bread maker in recipe equipment
  • Butternut Squash Soup
    • Should be problem-free... I've made it before...
  • Candied Yams for me, Mashed Potatoes for Ryan
    • Ryan's a potato tramp, so I'm an expert. I've candied yams once, two years ago... yikes!
  • Spinach Salad
    • a foodie's wet dream: Poppy Seeds in the dressing, and bacon!!
  • Stuffing
    • Ick. Pillar of Salt. I'm gonna make one serving, then throw it away. If it's not Mom's stuffing, I'm not eating it.
  • Pumpkin Pie
    • Pie crust from scratch. Never been done before by me. I'm partially terrified. And I have no pastry cutter!
  • Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
    • Strictly for friends. I have no self-control with things like this. Meaning, I think I could eat an entire loaf in 1 hour, and not feel that bad about it.

Monday: Organization Day, Splurge Day.  (85% successful)
    Tuesday: Prepare salad dressing, butternut squash soup, & pumpkin bread.


    Before shaken: looks like Chewey's sick.
    After shaken: yummy dressing, permeating in opium.

    Squash cooking in oven!

    Squash (taken out of the microwave to finish cooking) to be mashed and blended.
    Finished product, ready to be stored away! Hopefully letting it sit for so long will increase the spices.

    Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread in oven....

    Oh, this picture's much better

    My yam! There was also a brand of yam called Moon Shine.
    Maybe I should've bought one of those just in case the dinner went for the worst.... ?


    Whew! Now off to bed and have visions of pie crusts dancing in my head...

    No comments:

    Post a Comment