Monday, September 5, 2011

Monday, Monday, Can't Trust That Day...

"Every other day, every other day,
Every other day of the week is fine, yeah
But whenever Monday comes, but whenever Monday comes
You can find me cryin' all of the time"

 -The Mamas & The Papas

I decided that I love the Mamas & the Papas. This post is a tribute to them.

(Those of you who were around when they were popular, please note that I have little-to-no actual knowledge about this group and the reality of that era. I only know their top 4 hits.)

(Those of you too busy listening to your poorly-written, overly-synthesized Top 40 ear vomit, The Mamas & The Papas were a sunshine pop-slash-psychedelic rock group in the 60's.)

And it's two tall, lanky dudes, a flaquita, and a really, really fat woman.

And I love it! 

from rockandpop80s.com

I love that these people have blown so many current stereotypes of today's music world out of the water. I mean, look! Their freakin' Best Of album cover was shot by someone's grandma in Sugarhouse Park! I can almost smell the baked beans dish at the pot-luck barbeque for the family reunion behind the camera...

Today, popular music requires visual beauty, often at the cost of audible beauty (huh?).

If you're a guy singing pretty songs, you must be pretty boys. The Papas are lanky guys, singing about California Dreamin'. I am not confident that these boys aged well...

The flaquita is cute and blonde, and needed to add about 200 more calories of lean protein to her diet, along with a flat iron, but her voice is so cute! And then we have our 300(?) pound woman---stunning voice! I'm so glad she became famous and rich!  But her wardrobe people... wow, massive failure. You don't give apple-shaped bodies tent-like tops to wear! Poor thing died of a heart attack at a high point of her career in '74. :-(

It seems like that would never, ever happen now: "In the music business, we don't truly care about the music... Just money, looks, sex, ratings, money, sex, money..." 

Why else do you think Britney did so well? (No hard feelings...)

No comments:

Post a Comment